What Is Your Website Conversion? [Examples]

Table of Contents

    What do your website visitors do when they come to your website? What happens when, after clicking on your link from Google, they get to your site and stop? What then?

    If Google is the person outside your website showing people to your door, then conversion marketing is the salesperson inside your site, ensuring that more visitors buy things.

    Your definition of conversion depends on your business goals and your website goals. If you own an e-commerce website, purchases and sales would be a specific goal, but, running a service industry, a blog, or an B2B website with advertising, you might be consider these as key performance indicators:

    1. increased traffic
    2. reduced bounce-rate
    3. more calls from prospects
    4. downloading an e-book
    5. increased newsletter subscribers
    6. increased facebook fans (send traffic to Fan page)
    7. increased form submissions
    8. increased webinar sign-ups
    9. increased video views

    So what steps can we take to help with your website’s conversion?

    Typical conversion rates typically hover at 3%. So what can we do about the other 97% of visitors?

    Generally for All Websites:

    1. Multi-variate testing. Test your site’s content with a variety of content and see which one works.
    2. Web analytics – You can a learn a lot for your web statistics. Be sure you are reviewing them at least weekly to find the sticky pages and the ones with high bounce-rates (meaning they hit your site and boing! they leave it)
    3. Usability testing. Ask your customers, employees, or  your friends (if they fall within your target market) to provide feedback on your website. You can even hire companies to review your site’s usability.


    1. One-time Coupons – Websites like Runa, which triggers immediate coupons to customers that are only valid for that one session. If they leave and come back the next day, the coupon will disappear.
    2. Simplify searches – 20% of online visitor prefer actually searches rather than searching categories. Even better, while searching, allow for autocompletes, the type you see in Google search.
    3. Improve your Buy Now and Add to Cart buttons. Make sure they are visible, big, and clear.
    4. Eliminate distractions from your checkout pages. Clarify what you need customers to do with a clear path to the final goal; purchase

    Informational Websites:

    1. Add testimonials. Flaunt what is great about your services by showcasing what others have said about it.
    2. Calls to action. Be sure you tell your visitors what to. Never make them guess. Then repeat throughout the page.
    3. Don’t hide your phone number. We all hate hunting for the elusive phone number. How can you be trusted if you can’t pick up the phone for me?
    4. Move your calls to action to a prominent place. Your phone number or whatever you want folks to do, should be front and center. Maybe not literally, but it should be very visible.
    5. Do you need a two-column or single column layout? With a single layout you can direct the user through a series of questions as they flow down the screen. These are usually called Squeeze pages.
    6. Headlines. Make them bigger and more prominent so your users can separate content.

    Conversion marketing on the web is what we refer to as the steps  we will do to drive more customers and sales their websites. User behavior is at the root of conversion marketing. What users typically experience on your website and those crucial 3 seconds when they decide to either hit the ‘Back’ button or go further into your website.

    What ways do you ensure conversions?

    digital marketing team

    Blog Categories

    Posted in

    Christina Hawkins

    Since 1999, Christina has been designing and building exceptional websites partnering with small businesses to help them grow and increase revenue. With many years of experience in creating thousands of websites, she understands the need for continuing education in her field and, therefore, is constantly learning and teaching others about internet marketing and digital processes. In addition to her ability as a digital marketer, Christina serves as a coach and mentor with Agency Mavericks to other digital marketing freelancers, helping them grow their businesses. She is a sponsor and co-leader of Houston's WordPress Meetup. Recently, she spearheaded the next Houston WordCamp 2020 as its coordinator after a 10 year hiatus. She is currently President of the Houston Interactive Marketing Association.

    Leave a Comment