What is to become of internet marketing in 2014? Whew! A lot.. That is the beauty of this industry and the bane of my existence. It is forever changing and growing and 2014 will be the same.
- Continued growth of social media but it will have an even more impact. Facebook and Twitter still reigns but watch as teenagers continue to move toward Vine and Snapchat. Then there is another growing trend to create social media networks that are targeted to specific groups. This just means to keep up with where your target market resides and watch the trend. Don’t jump on the trends.. watch it. Then make an informed decision as to whether you should promote your company on it.
- Google authorship becomes (is) important. I will send some information about this soon. Since February 2011, Part of my SEO strategy will continue to be toward unique content and blogging, but the change is to verify authors with each author being tied to Google+. This can be seen with that little photo you see in search results with that small face of the author of the post.
- Micro-video content or 3 – 6 second videos. Just as mobile content increases so will micro video as more and more people use their mobile devices to create tiny video sequences. Think Vine, Instagram, and Twitter. Mobile devices are on track to double their annual share of streamed and downloaded video. It follows that video advertising to mobile is one of the hottest topics in the ad industry.
- Mobile usage continues to grow and demand my attention for my clients encouraging them to have a mobile-friendly or responsive website.
- Importance of content. Last year we saw Google’s algorithm change 4 times! Since 2011, Google has released 25 updates that affect its website content quality algorithm known as Panda. (https://globalspex.com/2012/11/15/matt-cutts-on-googles-updated-seo-copywriting-strategy) They are always trying to improve their search results and continue to remind us that content, unique content, is and always will be king!
- Integration across the many marketing outlets becomes more and more important. Okay, this is not really new. I just want to reiterate it. Your Facebook posts should send customers to your website. Your blog should be shareable on social media. Your video should be a mechanism to subscribe to your email. All with the same message and strategy.
- Importance of branding across all media. #6 talks about integration but as you integrate and reach these different media points, the importance of branding will become more and more important. I am not talking about your logo but your message as well; your total brand.
- Google Local Search will replace basic Search for small business. Again as mobile replaces desktop usage, local search will be the ultimate in SEO. You will want your business to show on that little map and local listing (you can see this just below the paid results). The Google Places Stats and Facts page says that “20% of searches on Google are related to location.” According to comScore, 56% of mobile phone users use their browser for local search. Read more about these topics: https://globalspex.com/2012/06/12/add-your-business-to-google-local/ and https://globalspex.com/2010/01/20/google-local/
These Internet Marketing trends might be a carry-over from last year but there were some noticeable items that area showing dominance in the industry like micro videos and mobile usage.
Let the fun begin!